Thursday 22 August 2013

Cuchi tunnels and final thoughts on Vietnam

10 August

Today is our last day in Vietnam.  Before I ponder on my many highlights of the last couple of weeks, lets start with the days events...

In my opinion, a trip to this remarkable country would not be complete without a visit to the famous underground tunnels.  So we decided to do this on our final day.  On our way, we stopped at a factory where they make artwork designed and created by disabled workers.  The term disabled is familiar within western vocabulary but I've noticed that its seen a quite the opposite here, almost taboo.  It was only a small factory but the standard and volume of work they create is quite impressive.  So much so, that I purchased a small piece of art.  For those that know me well, I am not particularly into my art but this piece (a Vietnamese lady walking along the Mekong) reminded me of my trip.  The colours are also striking.  I'm looking forward to putting it up in my home.

Upon our arrival at the tunnels, I felt like we'd been well briefed.  This wasn't going to be easy but it was important.  Our guide took us to see one of the original tunnels.  I can't get across to you just how they were.  Incredible.  Within our group was a Polish lad, I would assume ex military too.  He was the first to go down.  It amazed me that someone so broad and tall could even fit into such a tiny hole, particularly given the lack of ventilation.  Impressively, he did it.  Bravo!

Our next stop was looking at a military vehicle, the different types of traps and trying out an AK-47.  Not quite on my to do list, I left that up to the boys.  Raj looked like a kid in a sweet shop and has ticked something off his bucket so I'm told!  Back to the tunnels, it was now out chance to do the tourist version.  Although they have been increased in size, they are still very small.  The heat was unbelievable and it wasn't even at film capacity.  It was pretty tough and mentally draining but I'm so glad I completed the whole route.  

Back in Saigon, after some pretty below average food, we walked to the war museum.  It was particularly distressing to see the effects of not only the war but also agent orange.  Heartbreaking.

That evening, we finally got to see the water puppet show!!  It was actually quite good considering the story is hard to follow and the puppets look nothing like their translation but judging on the locals reaction, it's pretty popular here.  Then we took a river boat cruise down the river for dinner and ended it with a Bollywood dancer juggling fire.  It was quite hilarious watching all the men drool over her and the woman (some anyway) stand in contempt. 

So, my final thoughts on Vietnam: 

1. Motorbikes- Easily this countries biggest obsession.  At the start of my trip, I hated them!  By the end...they're  not so bad, providing the driver is safe.

2. Favourite Place: Halong Bay- spectacular and exactly like the photos.

3. Favourite City: Hoi An - a quaint, beautiful city that I didn't want to leave.

4. Highlights: rowing down the Mekong Delta, getting tailor made clothes and completing the cu-chi tunnels.

Well it's time to bid farewell to Vietnam.  It's been a great trip and cheers to Raj for experiencing it with me :)

Next stop: Phnom Penn, CAMBODIA 




No comments:

Post a Comment