Thursday 29 May 2014

Lake Aniwhenua and skydiving in Taupo

5-6 May

After saying my goodbyes, it was time to leave Rotorua and head south towards Taupo.  A change of bus meant a new group of people.  As we drove around the city picking people up, I heard the sound of a familiar voice; Marielle and Mike!  I was so pleased to see them and excited at the thought of spending the rest of my trip laughing and giggling with Marielle.  She has this infectious personality and one which I adore being around.

On the way down to Aniwhenua, we stopped off at Rainbow Mountain where we picked up our Maori guide, Uncle Jonny who took the group to explore some ancient Cave art and small very run down Maori town.  That evening we devoured a Hangi (traditional meal cooked in the ground) before preparing the leftovers for the local children at Murapara School.  Most of the children in this school won't eat lunch that day so it was a heartwarming feeling knowing that I had fed a child for the day.  Watching the kids present a Haka to us, is something I will never forget. 




The next morning, the weather cleared up which meant the skydive was ON!  We drove around Lake Taupo to what is known as the most remote part of the north island before stopping off for a quick peek at Huka Falls.  Before I knew it, we were in the minibus on our away to the skydive centre.  I will never forget the look of pure fear on poor Scott's (UK) face or excitement on Yohann's (France) for that matter!  We were all shown the safety video and after a slight weather delay, the guys were putting me, Lilly (Germany) and Marielle (holland) in our gear and heading towards the plane.  I'm not going to lie, I was petrified.  Lilly and Marielle both seemed to have chatty instructors which would've put me a little more at ease.  Mine on the other hand only spoke to give basic instructions other than to tell me "why should you be worries, you don't have to do anything!"  Just what I wanted to hear...

I had opted for the 12,000ft which was the cheaper option as it was lower.  Honestly, other than an extra 15 secs of freefall, there is no real difference.  The plane ride up seemed to take forever but even once we'd reached altitude, I still didn't feel ready.  I watched Lilly jump then Marielle and suddenly it was my go....  We hung over the edge, my eyes were tightly shut and suddenly I was falling through the clouds.  It was only when we slowed down that I opened my eyes and what a sight to open them too.  Wow!  The view was magnificent.  Once the parashute had been activated, we were jolted and suddenly it all became calm.  The instructor loosened my harness, lifted up my mask and we glided home.  Amazing.  The turns were slightly painful on my thighs so I can't imagine what it was like for the guys and then we were back on the ground.  It was all over.  What a feeling...

Sadly I have no video or photos of my skydive purely because it doubled the cost.  But here are my pre-flight photos (Big thanks to Mike for taking them):





Next stop: Blue Duck Lodge in Whakahoro and Tongeriro National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment