Wednesday 4 September 2013

A Birthday weekend which I will never forget!

24 August

As Raj was working all day then meeting a friend from home in the evening, I had the day to myself.  After pottering about in the morning, I headed to the park and then visited Jim Thompson's house, -an American expat who famously made Thai silk popular in the states.  It was fascinating to see the blend of Thai and Western traditions which he managed to incorporate in the design of his house.  Although I would've loved to have bought  some of his silk, my budget just simply wouldn't allow it!

25 August

Today is my birthday!! Considering, I was away from home and in a foreign country, I had a pretty spectacular day.   In the morning, Raj and I went to MBK which is a huge shopping centre basically for tourists.  At mums request, she wanted me to go in search of Xmas presents (yes, this early).  I think I spent about £45 for most of the family.  Result!  We then went for a spot of lunch followed by go-karting.  Having not been since Callum's 9th birthday, I was a tad rusty but after 2 rounds, I claimed a decent time.  In the evening, Raj took me for dinner to a skybar, overlooking the Bangkok skyline.  As I was still on antibiotics, it was a mocktail for me but considering this was the first time I'd properly eaten in over a week, I did well.  The original plan was to get back for the Grand Prix but unfortunately I'm an idiot and misread the start time of the race, so we caught the last 3 laps, but the stream was also pretty weak, so that made me feel a bit better.  Instead, we lay on the sofa and watched the season finale of BE.

26 August

With Raj back at work, it was time to get myself organised and move onto my next destination.  I somehow managed to navigate my way to the train station and buy my ticket, which left me just enough time to pop to the post office and pack up my belongings.  

I arrived at the train station 40 mins before departure, which was just enough time to grab a bite to eat.  I waited patiently on the platform asking different conductors which carriage was mine. Back and forth I went, which with a heavy rucksack quickly became tedious. As I was waiting, a French man started talking to me.  At first, I mistook him for a hippy as he looked like he hasn't shaved for weeks, but in fact he'd just left his razor at home.  As I boarded the train, I started chatting to the guy in the bunk above me.  He was from Stockport, just about to start his first year at Uni. The poor lad was very sweaty as he hadnt washed for 3 days, due to travelling up from the islands (why'd you think I'm flying).  We hung out altogether for most of the evening.  It was fascinating to watch the cabin staff make up the beds from normal seats.  They're pretty comfy beds too!  Later on in the evening, we headed for the restaurant cart which then became the boogie carriage with disco lights and everything - only in Asia!





No comments:

Post a Comment