Wednesday 4 September 2013

My last few days and final thoughts on Cambodia

22 August

I took the bus from Battambang back to Siem Reap.  The hotel (no hostels in Battambang) kindly organised my ticket and a tuktuk to take me to the bus station.  As with anything in Asia, it simply wasn't that easy.  The tuk tuk driver for starters didn't have a clue where the bus terminal was.  We drove around for a good 20mins, stopping to ask members of the public.  Eventually, he took me to a hotel as this is where he believed I wanted to go.  By this point, I was ready to scream!  Instead of arguing as I was conscious that I had 30 mins to catch my bus, I ran over to the hotel reception and asked for assistance.  Luckily, the guy spoke great English and seeing how distressed I had become, offered to take me.  Result!  Unfortunately for him, I only had enough money on me for a bottle of water and some nuts so I couldn't tip him.  I felt terrible.  Upon arrival at the bus station, I became instantly aware that I was the only westerner around.  Wherever I turned, people were looking at me.  It's the first time I've really felt intimated in Asia.  The bus was a normal public bus and unsurprisingly I was the only western person onboard. One of the ladies noticed I'd dropped some money out of my pocket.  At first I thought "how kind of  her to tell me".  It wasnt until later on that  I realised she'd taken 2000 local.  It only acquaints to 50 cents but thats beside the point.

I eventually got to PP and negotiated a tuk tuk driver to take me to my hostel.  I stayed in the same dorm as last time but it wasnt the same without my original group of girls.

23 August

Today was my last day in Cambodia.  It therefore seemed suitably fitting that I spend it with Sam.  We met for lunch and then he took me to the Russian Market where I picked up a hoody to replace my now retired white jacket.  I also picked up a pair of Converse for $10.  Bargain!  After taking a tour of the city, it was time to get back on the bike and head for the airport.  The building was surprisingly modern and quite small, which made it nice and easy to navigate.  The flight to Bangkok was pleasant and arrived on time.  After meeting Raj shortly after 8pm, we headed out to watch the Ashes, where else but in the pub!

Final thoughts on Cambodia:

- People: The people are friendly but I really struggled with the language barrier.  This trip is the first I've been on where I haven't had a basic understanding of the native language and a concept I've found difficult to swallow. 

- Food: Although Khmer food is available, I can't help but think that western food monopolises the main tourist resorts.  Traditional food is delicious and much cheaper, so I really hope western cuisine doesn't take over.

Time to board the plane and discover Thailand!

Catch ya'll later!

K




No comments:

Post a Comment