Monday 7 October 2013

Railay - My first taste of paradise

7 September

I woke up earlier than everyone else and decided to head into Ao Nang.  After finding the bus port and buying my ticket, I jumped aboard my first long-tail boat.  What an awesome experience!  It was still early so the sun wasn't too hot, perfect weather for me!  I took Raj's advice and wore my sandals as the skipper made us jump into the sea and walk to the shore.  First impressions of the island?  Wow wow wow!

I sat in a cafe on the beach and admired the view.  A German lady spotted that I was on my own and asked if she could join me for a coffee.  It was quite nice to have some female company.  After finishing the necessary introductory chit chat, we planned our afternoon.  Not long after, I spotted the guys and gals from my hostel and they joined us.  The water was perfect, the sun was out and I even played a few games of football with the lads.

In the afternoon, we took the kayaks out around the island.  This is definitely the best way to see it.  At about 5ish, we all agreed to head back.  What we didn't realise was that a storm was on its way.  Well, it was too late to come back, we were already on the boat.  The sea was rough, the rain was pelting it down and as a result, we were all drenched.  My only concern was my ipad which was in my liner, luckily.  One of the lads put all the electrics together in the liner and put the bag under his jumper.  Thankfully this worked and all was ok.  We arrived at the shore, freezing cold and soaked through.  The only thought on my mind now was a long hot shower.  


As evening approached, we headed down the road for some dinner before grabbing some beers.  We'd promised the manager of our hostel that we'd attend his gig that evening.  Good job we did too as we were the only ones there!  After a few rounding of drinking games (Thai ones that is) it was time to head back.  We made it as far as the next group of bars, where the boys played pool and the girls danced.  I even met a lad from Wrexham, very random! 



The photo above is the Thai drinking game.  You use a cigarette to make a hole in the cloth.  Whoever is the one to let the coin drop, drinks a shot or drink of the groups choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment