Monday 28 October 2013

My last few days and final thoughts on Thailand

12 September

I took the boat from Phi Phi to Phuket.  It was a large almost cruise ship style boat.  The crossing was nice and simple and we made good time.  Upon arrival, I searched for a taxi and avoiding all the illegal toutts.  It turns out that they all worked for one company.  As with most things in Asia, I was told that I'd have to pay a single persons excess to travel alone.  Luckily for me, a lovely German couple offered to share a cab with me!

I spent the evening wandering around the city centre and eating Pad See Ew which is a type of Thai noodle dish.  Phuket wasn't the place for me, seedy and distasteful.  Certainly not a place I intend on returning to.

So this brings my Thai adventure to an end, so what are my final thoughts:

1. Bangkok- an enjoyable city to spend a reasonable amount of time in.  There are so many different areas, don't just stick to the tourist traps.  The skyline at night is something I will never forget!

2. Food- The food is better than I could've ever imagined, particularly the street food.  At first I was a little wary but in fact it's often cleaner and much nicer!  The cooking course was also a definite highlight.

3. Culture- There is so much more to thailand than just party, party!  One of my highlights was certainly elephant trekking near Kanchanaburi and the temples around Chiang Mai.

4. The islands- Easily the nicer islands were Railay and Maya.  2 places I would certainly visit again.  I hope that I can spend more time on the other islands next time I go back!

5. Unforgettable moments - my birthday in a sky bar, sitting with tigers, riding an elephant, cooking class and my trip to Maya.

Next stop: Kuala Lumpa, Malaysia 


No comments:

Post a Comment