Monday 3 February 2014

Last few days and final thoughts on Sydney

14 January

The last few days have been a bit if a whirlwind.  I have spent most of my time applying for jobs but to no avail.  I had one interview with a family as an au pair but sadly I wasn't able to commit to long term. On a  positive note, I managed to catch up with Jacob (friend via Alicia).  We haven't seen each other since he came to visit Lissi in St Etienne which is almost 5 years ago!  Not that you could've been able to tell...  It was good to see him, hopefully we won't leave it another 5 years!

Having had no luck with jobs, I made the decision to move on.  I had planned to head to Melbourne but spotted a link to the Beerfest in Tassie and thought I'd drop the gang a line to see if there was any as any work going.  James replied saying yes and within a few hours, I'd packed my bag and booked a flight to Launceston. Crazy!!

Sadly this meant that I had to say goodbye to Sydney.  So what are my final thoughts:

Favourite suburb: Surry Hills
Favourite attraction: Walking tour...as it's free!
Favourite place: Blue Mountains

Unforgettable moment: spending new year on observatory hill
Enjoyable moment: Taking the ferry to Manly
'It'll grow on me' moment: I'm not going to lie, the first time I saw the Opera House, I was pretty underwhelmed.  A building I'd want to see for so long just wasn't what I expected.  This being said, it was on a grey day and didn't look it's best.  I've visited it 4-5 times since and if has definitely grown on me.  You certainly can't fault the ingenious architecture involved. 

Regrets?  Sadly I have two.  The first was not seeing the famous Bondi.  Time ran away with me and I'm disappointed that I didn't get chance to go.  The second was doing the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb.  I would've loved to have done it but right now, I can't justify that amount of money.

Finally, a big thank you to Conor for taking me in over new year and taking me to the train station :)

Next stop: Launceston, Tasmania


No comments:

Post a Comment