Saturday 25 January 2014

Manly Beach and the Sydney Opera House

4 January 2014

Today I decided to take the ferry out of Sydney over to Manly, a beach resort on the other side of Sydney.  It's allegedly one of the nicest beaches around these parts so my expectations were pretty high.  The ferry ride over was $14, not bad considering its a 20min journey each way.  We arrived into Manly and I followed the crowd down the main high street.  The town itself isnt very big and reminded me of Llandudno a little, with its hotel seafront and side streets of tourist shops.  The beach itself wasn't particularly fabulous.  It's possibly because I've grown up by the beach that it takes a lot to impress me and this place sadly didn't do that.

Upon return into Circular Quay, I had a great view of the CBD, the opera house and the harbour bridge.  This definitely made the trip worthwhile.  Once we'd docked, I headed for the Opera House.  An iconic, cleaverly designed building which no trip to Aus would be complete without.  The building itself is impressive but what surprised me were the colour of the tiles.  I'd always imagined them to be a glistening white but coupled with the brown bricks, the building can look pretty underwhelming on a grey day.  Thankfully I have been a few more times and the building has considerably grown on me.  I hovered around until sunset in the hope that the Opera House would be lit up but sadly not. The activity I've still yet to decide upon is the Sydney Bridge Walk.  At 300$ (peak time) it is not cheap but as I've said all along, this is a once in a lifetime trip so normal rules, do not apply...



No comments:

Post a Comment