Saturday 4 January 2014

Welcoming 2014 in style!

31 December

For a little while, I hesitated about where to spend New Year.  Not just due to the expense (trust me! the flight over was NOT cheap nor was accommodation) but also due to the fact that I may be spending it alone.  I have got quite used to my own company but spending New Years Eve on my own just didn't seem right!  Thankfully, the latter didn't happen as I met up with Rach (friend from London via Charl) and her boyfriend Elliot.  

The morning was spent food shopping (yes that delightful task still has to be done even when you are a traveller); followed by exploring my new area.  I am staying just south of Sury Hills which is a great location.  It does involve a 30 min bus ride into the city, but actually I don't mind that!  

As soon as I arrived in the city centre, I just knew the night was going to be unforgettable.  There were street artists everywhere and people just wandering around Circular Quay, soaking up the sun.  Rach and Elliot had managed to secure a spot on Observatory Hill, which is on the south side of the bridge, just up the hill from The Rocks.  As previously advised, they had been sat there for hours securing the spot and it was perfect!  Right in front of the bridge, sadly no view of the opera house, but at least I had great company!

The evening went pretty quickly as it was broken up with small tasters of fireworks and absailing displays over the bridge.  Funnily enough, the longest part was waiting for food/drinks.  Although we experience a little downpour, thankfully it was nothing more than a mere shower.

As the countdown commenced, I didn't know what to expect.  Were the fireworks going to be a good as everyone makes out?  The simpler answer to that is...YES!  Our spot allowed us to look up and down the river watching the same display 4 times over - in the harbour, at the bridge and as far out as the north eastern suburbs.  Spectacular! It felt like they went on for hours with varying colours and shapes, even including a smiley face!

I have been lucky enough to welcome New Years in many places in the UK, including the home of Hogmanay, Scotland but the Aussie's truly know how to throw a good party.  Just walking down George Street makes you realise the magnitude of this event.  I will never ever forget the sea of people singing and chanting as they headed for home.  Instead of waking up with a hangover, I woke up with a huge smile on my face and memories that will last a lifetime and not many people can say that...

How was your New Years?  I hope it was as special as mine was?

Happy New Year everyone!

Video of fireworks from my iPhone:  http://instagram.com/p/imraezpoCt/


No comments:

Post a Comment