Sunday 28 July 2013

A Bangkok Bonanza!

24 July

So today is Weds and I have only just had the chance to to write my blog!  That should tell you how crazy things have been. 

Flight over was fine. Quite a difference from Emirates' fine hospitality but good all the same.  The food was nice with a number of options to choose from.  I arrived in Bangkok (BKK) worrying that they'd ask for proof of onward travel particularly as I'd already spent £10 on phone credit attempting to download the blooming thing.  Thankfully, it was a breeze and my bag was even one of the first to come out- result!   

I managed to meet Raj okay and we took a cab to his place.  I say place, more like palace!  He was not kidding when he said it was nice.  I had a shower etc and we made our way to Soy 11 aka the 'expat drinking hole'.  The flight attendant had kindly offered us to drink with the crew but we opted for a few quiet ones.  I met the others who were all lovely and very welcoming.  It's such a refreshing change to meet a group of lovely girls.  We stayed out for a couple of hours including sampling some Thai rum and drinking in a VW camper van before heading for food then bed! Roc a rol!

Saturday was my day of rest.  We woke up late and eventually dragged outselves out to the Chatuchak Market.  The market is very famous and one of the largest in the world at 45 acres.  Although its somewhat similar to Camden, it's also very unique.  Every corner brings something different from candles, flowers and furnishings to live puppy dogs dressed in dresses.  After a couple of hours, we headed back for an evening of Boardwalk Empire and takeaway pizza.

Sunday mean only one thing wherever you are in the world...a lie in and brunch!
This being said, brunch in Thailand is a little different!  We turned up at 11.30am only to start ordering Mojitos at no additional cost.  By about 3pm, we were all fairly tipsy so decided to continue onto a sports bar and watch the cricket.  At 7ish, we headed to Soy 11 and sample the delights of The Alchamist's infamous cocktails.  The night could only end in one way after that- Khao San Road.  Also known as travellers paradise, Khao San is Club 18-30 heaven.  The only difference to that of its western rivals is that it still maintains some Thai culture in its choice of cuisine.  Thankfully it hasn't resorted Bangers & Mash or a full English for under 100 baht just quite yet!  The rest of the night continued along the same direction, we had a couple of buckets between us (reminded me of Tenerife all those years ago) and ended up in 'The Club'.  A few hours later, we were safely back in bed.

The next few days were a bit of a right off as I became ill.  What I thought was just a simple hangover turned out to be the dreaded travellers bug!  No matter how many times you wash your hands, you still can't avoid not getting sick.  I won't bore you with the details but it wasn't a pleasant couple of days.

As I am feeling a little better today, I decided it was time to get out of the flat and back in the game.  We first went to the Vietnamese Embassy to get our visas and then onto Soi 11 to find a travel agent and book a tour.  I ended up choosing The Bridge over the River Kwai.  In the afternoon, I took the BTS (metro) down to the river bank then the tourist boat to the Palace.  Although, I thought I'd left it a little late as it shuts at 3.30pm, I think I timed it just right!

Looking forward to my trip away and I'll update you upon my return,

K



No comments:

Post a Comment