Friday 12 July 2013

And so my adventure begins...

12 July

Well, this is it, I have arrived in my first stop, Sri Lanka.

The flight over was pretty good with a stopover of just 2 hours in Dubai. At 1am, this was more than enough time to travel from one gate to the other via the shuttle train and have a quick peek in airports shops. Dubai airport really is something else! It was everything that my friends had told me it was. This being said, I'm not entirely sure I'd actually want to visit the place itself. As for Emirates, they are a superb airline, particularly for long haul. From the check-in staff to cabin crew, nothing was too much trouble. 

My arrival into Columbo started off well. I stood in the queue for immigration expecting to be interrogated but to my surprise and annoyance, it was a breeze. I say annoyance, I wasn't annoyed at not having to wait but more the fact that I didn't get asked for the Visa which I'd paid for!! The immigration clerk merely looked at my Landing Card and waived me through. Then came picking up my bag and Sod's law it was the last one out. Stress over? Not quite...My friend had arranged for a local taxi firm to pick me up from the airport. 2 hours later (11am) and £20 of phone credit later, he gave up the search. Luckily, we found another firm who for an extra 200rupees was happy to take me.

I arrived at the hotel at approx mid day to be greeted by some of the friendliest hotel staff I have come across who went out of their way to make me feel settled. They even managed to find me an adapter so that I could recharge my phone. Something so simple goes a long way when you're feeling jet-lagged. The room, over looking the beach, was clean and modern. A bargain for £40/night. 

Dinner in the evening was yummy; Thai Crab fish cakes with rice whilst watching the sunset, not a bad way to end my first day eh?!

Initial thoughts on Sri Lanka? Its a pretty, up and coming country with very friendly, welcoming people. A random thought though, why would you have a shower linked to your toilet? The Brits have bidets, the Sri Lankans have "bottom washers" as my Sinhalese friend likes to call them. On that note, I shall bid you all good night...

2 comments:

  1. Don't knock the bottom-washers! I thought they were GREAT!!! And you may come to like them very much after a few Sri Lankan curries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you K. Push through the fear envelope and embrace the big, bad world out there. You will keep these memories for as long as you live, Live long my love.

    Uncle Douglas

    ReplyDelete