Saturday 20 July 2013

My final thoughts on Sri Lanka...

18 July 

As I prepare to depart Sri Lanka, it's time to reminisce on what has been, for me, a life-changing 8 days:

1. Getting Around: Sri Lanka may seem like a small Island but as we've discovered, looks can be very disceiving.  It often takes a couple of hours to get anywhere so having someone drive you around sure makes life a lot easier.  Although public transport is possible, it's not ideal as buses are crammed and trains are extremely infrequent. 

2. Culture Shock: Particularly in Kandy, I found myself forgetting that I was in a developing country.  Then I'd turn a corner and it suddenly hit me in the face like a splash of cold water on a hot summers day.  This country is certainly going through the stages of regeneration.  Looking up the 'high street' you can see new buildings going up but then next to it, a row of run down almost derelict buildings.  Likewise, as you walk down the river, all you can see are shanty towns for miles around.  Seeing someone washing their clothes in a river, in real life, is a true eye opener and something I will never forget.  

3. The People: The Sri Lankan people are some of the kindest people I have ever come across, stemming from the hotel staff to Ravini's family.  We Brits could learn a lot!  They are never afraid to help in anyway they can and boy that makes a difference. 

4. The Food: Having a fairly delicate stomach when it comes to spicy cuisine, I was a little concerned coming here but *touch wood* I have been okay thus far.  I have steered away from heavy curries and edged myself onto more spicy food gradually, always washing my hands at any given moment.  This seems to have done the trick so I will continue to follow this method for the next part of my trip. 

5. The Future:  What do I think the future holds for this magnificent country?  Well, I hope it continues to build a stable economy and the expected tourist boom in the peak season of 2013 comes to fruition.  I would love to come back here in 3, 5 or even 10 years time to see how far this country has come along. I think it will be a fascinating journey to follow.

I can only hope that my children and my children's children continue to visit this incredible country.  

K


1 comment:

  1. Love your writing K. I will be looking out to make sure that you pen all your journeys down. Happy Travels x

    ReplyDelete