Tuesday 11 March 2014

'The Irish' and my last few days/final thoughts on Tasmania

24 February

No blog on Launceston or Tasmania would be complete without a post on the place that I've called home for the last month - Irish.  This pub is a very special place in many ways; the people, the locals, the food and most important of all the atmosphere.

The pub has cheered me up when I felt lonely and allowed me to make some great friends.  Those nights that I could've spent on my own sitting upstairs were spent witnessing the legendary 'Tommy & Timmy Show' or watching some great bands with people I'd only met that night.  It's the kind of place where you walk into on your own and walk out of with friends.  

My last night was spent waiting for Luke Parry to arrive for his set and saying farewell to new friends.  I'm so grateful to all those for turned out to say bye - Ceri, Timmy, Lauren, Tommy, Emma, Matt, Beth, Pat and Benny.  It was a night like no other and the perfect way to end a great time in a great state.

25 February

The next morning was a bit of a mad rush to the airport but we made it...just!  Thank you to the lovely Louise for driving me there and to Joanny for helping carry my bags.



So what are my final thoughts on Tasmania:

Tasmania is somewhere that has surprised me.  It's a place that I knew very little about before I went there.  To be honest the only thing I associated with Tassie was the cartoon character called "Taz" the Tasmanian Devil who spun around.  My brother loved him as a child.  Sadly the real Tasmanian Devils are nothing like the cartoon image I remember.  

Jokes aside, Tasmania is a truly beautiful island, where each town has something unique about it.  Other than the above, Launceston's highlight was certainly The Gorge and one of my favourite places to relax and chill.  For the first time in this trip, I found somewhere that reminded me of home.  Launnie couldn't have been anymore like Llandudno if it tried.  It's for that reason that I will hold it quite dear to my heart.

In Hobart, I enjoyed the Salamanca Market and walking along the harbour front at night.  Cradle Mountain was a special memory as it reminded me just how much I miss getting out into the mountains.  This is something that I will endeavour to do more of with my Uncle Steve once I get home.  Lastly, I visited Wineglass Bay which is by far the nicest beach I've been to thus far.  I will never forget the clear blue waters and soft white sand.  The beach could've easily been in The Seychelles if it weren't for the deceptively cold water!

Top tip: rent a car - you will struggle to get anywhere without one!

If you ever get a chance to head this way then I would strongly urge you to take the short flight over to Tassie.  You won't be disappointed!

Next stop: Melbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment