Sunday 15 December 2013

Who knew the Taj Mahal was in Perth...

9 December

Met up with my lovely friend Elvira today.  Always great to see her!  We met in Garden City for a smoothie and chewed the fat.  During a random discussion, Elvira asked whether I'd seen the Taj Mahal yet?  "In India" I asked?" "No! Here in Perth". I thought she was pulling my leg, so in order to prove me wrong, she took me there and told me the story of this gigantic home...

Nicknamed "The Taj-on-the-Swan" as it's located just off the Swan River, this mansion is owned by an Indian multi-millionaire who bought the land in a very elite area of Peppermint Grove in Mosmon Park.  The guy bought 8 plots of land to build this house but suddenly got into serious debt and did a runner back to India.  The skeleton of the house was already built and just awaiting the decor, plastering etc.  The debt is rising by the day after the owner's company went into liquidation but what truly amazed me was the grandeur of the building and the similarities to the Taj Mahal.  The house is reported to be up for sale for 70 million dollars!  Insane!  
Not my personal taste though...


More information: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/clouds-gather-over-perths-shining-light-pankaj-oswal/story-e6frg8zx-1225843005263

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/real-estate-news/curtain-falls-on-tajmahalontheswan-mansion-20110117-19tts.html

No comments:

Post a Comment