Monday 14 April 2014

Byron Bay & Surfers Paradise

20, 21, 22 March

It was time to start my east-coast adventure.  An area of Australia that's possibly the most well-known for its soft white sand, crystal clear waters and surfing haven.  After some deliberation, I opted to get a Greyhound bus pass instead of a Premier. Predominately because there are 4 times as many buses per destination per day for a couple of bucks more.  The fact the former have leather seats, USB charges for every seat and intermittent wifi are merely just additional benefits.  

I stayed at Byron Bay Holiday Village backpackers which was in the centre of town.  A fairly basic setup but a place that I met some lovely ladies particularly Susanne and Sanara.  In terms of things to do, there weren't that many.  Susanne and I took a wander up to the lighthouse and watched dolphins playing off the shoreline and I finally took the plunge and got on a surf board.  



Our last night was spent at the famous Cheeky Monkeys drinking free 'Champagne' and dancing (part) of the night away!  Byron for me was a bit of an anticlimax.  It was a town full of wannabe backpacker hippies as opposed to being true to its roots.  


I had planned to spend a few nights in Surfers but I decided to cut it short.  This wasn't a town for me; full of high-rised buildings and tacky nightclubs.  Once I'd seen the beach, I was done!  Take me back to Brisbane...




Next stop: Brisbane

No comments:

Post a Comment