Thursday 24 April 2014

Noosa Part 2: Making lifelong friends

25 March - 3 April

Noosa, beautiful Noosa.  I'm not even sure where to begin.  This place is certainly in the running for #1 place to visit in Australia.  Not necessarily for what I did there but more because of the incredible people that I met.  I stayed at Dolphins which is a hostel set up like an apartment complex providing a living room (no tv or DVD players in ours which was a bit annoying), kitchen, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.  Having your own kitchen made a huge impact on my drive to cook.  On our first night, I was out in a room with the lovely Laura, Conan and Lisa (pirate; nickname stems from the fact she drank a bottle of rum one night) and it was also the night that I famously taught Laura how to cook a chicken snitzel.  

Another thing I liked about Dolphins was the communal area.  It makes that dreaded initial 'ice breaker' that little bit easier.  It's also where I made most of my friends.  On the evening of 26th, Laura and I decided that we deserved a night out.  I've not gone out on many seeing as the price of alcohol is do extortionate here but I'm glad I decided to go.  There were 7 of us in total; me, Laura, Conan, Franz (Ferdinand), Lisa (Pirate), Anne and Marieke.  They all came from different places all over the world from Finland to Germany to Holland.  Even one from London...  It was such a good night!  We pre-drank then headed to Nomads where we met Conan's friend Chris.  It was an evening filled with creepy guys from the Aussie who told me that he'd like to "stick his tongue down my throat" (and they say romance is dead) to another drunk Aussie we met outside a club.  Thankfully the guys were there to protect us :)
On the way home, we had the same awesome taxi driver that had picked us up earlier that evening.  He even took us for Maccies on the way home.  Legend.  One song that reminds me Noosa and that night is "New York - Empire State of Mind" by Alicia Keys or "Noosaaaa" as we re-named it!

The next few days were wet, windy and miserable.  Franz, Conan and Lisa all left and it felt so strange in our room without them, even though we'd only met a few days previously.  It was that night that our Noosa family grew.  We suddenly inherited 5 Dutch people (Mathjus, Luuk, Marielle, Joep and Dajs) so the group now consisted of 85% dutchies.  This was certainly a good thing.  Evenings were spent watching Dirty Dancing and chatting till the early hours of the morning.  For me, it's little things like that which make you feel more at home.  I don't think I've laughed as much as that in a long time.  Particularly at Marielle's funny faces and the boys' love of goon.  After spending the day on the beach, it was time for the dutchies and Laura to bid farewell to Noosa.  Thankfully, I still had Ella (English) and Esther (Dutch) to keep me company in my final days in Noosa.  I'll always remember that night where we sat at the back of our apartment sharing stories about friends, family and even child birth at one point.

Noosa for me will always remain a special place.  It's where I met some of the nicest people in hyena world and friends I hope for life.  Exactly the boost.  Here's to our reunion in holland and plenty more adventures together with my little Noosa family...




Next stop: Agnes Water (Town of 1770)

No comments:

Post a Comment