Thursday 24 April 2014

Holding a Koala at Lone Pine

23 March

For most of this trip, I've rarely seen the same person twice.  It was clear from the off that this was about to change as I travelled further up the east coast.  The journey to Brisbane was fairly uneventful and easy.  I stayed at Base purely for its location meaning that I didn't have to apart my rucksack too far as it's quit frankly beginning to get on my nerves!  In the end, Base turned our to be a good choice as the lovely Susanne was upgraded into my 6 bed dorm.  

24 March

Before coming to Australia, I had a few set goals of things I wanted to see and do.  One of which was hold a koala.  My good friend Kate (brownie) had shown me her photos which had made me all the more determined to find me somewhere to do it.  I'd already seen them in Perth with Gayton and seen them in the wild on the GOR with dad but I wanted to hold one.  Don't ask me why!  

So after a little bit of persuasion, I managed to get Susanne to come with me to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary which is just outside Brisbane.  Believe me, when other travellers advise that a few hours is more than enough, they're right!  The sanctuary allows you to get up close with the animals without it feeling like you're in a zoo but the whole experience is easily over and done with in 2 hours.  So is it worth the 30 bucks entrance fee?  Possibly not.  But it's worth it to hold these amazing creatures, even if you do have to pay extra, which I begrudge paying, but was assured that the money from the photos would go towards improving the koalas's habit and planting those all important eucalyptus trees.


Next stop: Noosa (part 2)


No comments:

Post a Comment