Sunday 27 April 2014

Cairns

18-20 April

It's my last few days in Australia and I've made it all the way up to Cairns.  Due to the cyclone, my plans have altered considerably.  Annoying but these things happen.  We (me Joep and Sam) all arrived safely off the bus in Cairns on 18th before meeting up with Marielle in the evening.  It's always lovely to see her.  Her funny faces never fail to make me laugh.  In the evening, Joep and I headed out for a bite to eat before taking a stroll along the promenade.  That particular part of Cairns was tranquille , quite a contrast to Gilligans.

On the Saturday, we all headed out for a walk in the town.  Unlucky for us, it was also Easter weekend meaning that everywhere was shut.  This meant that I couldn't go and see the 'Hairy Mclarey' exhibit which is a book my gran read to me as a wee girl.  The afternoon was spent sitting in a park watching a live band and laughing at the crazy dancing going in around us.  Life was sweet.

Sunday was reef day.  Up at 6am and in the boat by 7.  Not my idea of a great start to a Sunday morning.  We headed out to a couple of spots in the outer reef.  The second was certainly better than the first.  Still, I managed to take some photos and most importantly, I found Nemo!

That night, I'd organised for everyone to meet up for dinner (Sam, Matt, Joep, Marielle, Ella, Amanda, Malin, Luuk and Mathijus).  It started badly as the first bar was poor and slow meaning we lost the girls.  Thankfully after a bit of food everyone came back together again and had a great night in the Woolshed (Woolpack).  The worst part but ending the night early due to my 6am flight and saying goodbye.  These people are some of the nicest, kindest and funniest people I've ever met.  Each and everyone of them made my east coast trip.  







Next stop: New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment