Saturday 23 November 2013

My first Aussie Barbie

2 November

Marcus reminds me so much of my Uncle Steve in many ways.  Today was as so exception as we paid a trip to the garden centre.  You could see that he was in his element.  Jai and I on the other hand used the trolley as a lorry to navigate our way around.  It was huge!


In the afternoon, we headed over to Marcus' friends house for dinner.  It was lovely and they made me feel really welcome.  This was my first Aussie BBQ and one I will remember.  

In the evening, I went over to Georgia's friends house for drinks.  Everyone was there, including the frenchies so it was a perfect opportunity to practice my French.  I even made some other friends too- perhaps I'll be in double figures by the time I leave!

5 November

Since being in Oz, I've found it difficult to find a job.  This is not for want of trying, I can assure you that!    Still, the odd day here and there is coming in handy.  Today is Melbourne Cup Day similar to the Grand National, but the Aussies take it seriously.  Most companies allow staff to go to the event or one similar or watch the main race.  I was asked to help out at a real estate agency in Subiaco as their boss had paid for them all to go the 'The Garden' to watch the race.  As I popped our for lunch, I had a call from a relo in Sydney.  Instead of the usual 'your visa isn't a 457' nonsense that I usually get, the lady seemed quite positive.  She even said she was quite optimistic that if it worked out, she could tailor a job for me meaning that I'd get sponsorship.  It does sound a little too good to be true but I'm remaining positive about it all.    

No comments:

Post a Comment